More about Dr. Caroline Baltzer
Dr. Caroline Baltzer is a psychologist in private practice located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her office is in a Victorian office building, a 10-minute walk from Harvard Square. Dr. Baltzer is licensed in clinical psychology and diagnoses and treats general mental health problems and disorders, and conducts diagnostic evaluations, consultations and psychotherapy for individuals, couples and families both in the office and via videoconferencing.
Specific areas of focus and expertise include clinical psychology, couples and family psychotherapy, psychoanalytic psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques, psychological trauma (PTSD), EMDR, psychodrama, attachment disorders, psychological assessments, clinical hypnosis, Relational-Cultural therapy, Internal Family Systems, ADHD, bipolar spectrum disorders and Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT). Dr. Baltzer’s depth and breadth of training in these frameworks allows her the flexibility to select the approach or combination of approaches that research has shown to be the most effective for a given individual’s unique combination of needs.
Dr. Baltzer’s intensive training in varied approaches in the field since 1991 allows her to use a true integrative treatment approach, rather than simply an ‘eclectic’ approach. Dr. Baltzer is therefore able to construct a treatment plan using psychodynamic, developmentally-informed, cognitive-behavioral, hypnotherapeutic, and systemic approaches to psychotherapy, along with some recent developments in the field of positive psychology which has been shown to be highly effective. In this type of work, the focus is not just on symptoms (the negative), but equally on thriving (the positive) with a greater, more optimal connection to the context in which a person lives.
Education and Training
Dr. Baltzer graduated from Skidmore College with a B.A. in Philosophy and English and Minor in Fine Arts. She received her Ph.D. in Psychology at The State University of New York at Buffalo, and completed her internship in CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY at McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School (currently ranked the #2 psychiatric hospital in the U.S. by U.S. News and World Report).
After completing her internship, Dr. Baltzer also completed two post-doctoral fellowships:
- Fellowship in Psychoanalytically-oriented Psychodynamic Psychotherapy directed by Joan Wheelis, M.D. and Michael Hollander, Ph.D. at Two Brattle Center in Cambridge, MA. Focus on the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Fellowship in Psychological Trauma directed by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D. at The Trauma Center, The Arbor Hospital, Boston University Medical School in Brookline, MA. Focus on the treatment of P.T.S.D. and Dissociative Disorders.
In addition, Dr. Baltzer has advanced training in the following areas:
- Externship in the Treatment of Attachment Disruption and Disorders in Adults directed by Daniel Brown, Ph.D., Associate Clinical Professor of Psychology, Harvard Medical School.
- Externship in Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT) directed by Anthony Bateman, M.D. through McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
- EMDR – level II : The Trauma Center, Brookline, MA
- Internal Family Systems : Directed by Janina Fisher, Ph.D.
Dr. Baltzer is licensed by the State of Massachusetts to practice Clinical Psychology and is listed in The National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology.
Dr. Baltzer is currently involved in a research group led by Dan Brown, Ph.D. which is developing a step-wise treatment protocol for the treatment of adult attachment pathology in personality and dissociative disorder patients. These protocols emphasize working on secure attachment as not simply the absence of relational disturbance but on developing and holding a deeply positive internal map for healthy secure intimacy that gives the individual a sense of being secure in the relationship and able to grow, develop and flourish within the security of the therapy relationship.
- Board Member, Daniel Brown, Ph.D. and Associates, Newton, MA
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Consulting Psychologist, Two Brattle Center, Cambridge, MA